Teacher as Researcher:
How the Role of the Teacher Supports Emergent Curriculum
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13TH @
JCC MANHATTAN SAUL AND CAROLE ZABAR NURSERY SCHOOL FROM 5:30 – 8:00PM
How does emergent curriculum happen? How does the role and responsibilities of the teacher shift when children play a larger role in determining the curriculum? And what can emergent curriculum look like for 2s, 3s, 4s and even for 2ndand 3rd graders? What are reactions and thoughts from the parent perspective when their children are in schools where learning outcomes are not pre-determined?
Teachers and parents from different schools in Manhattan will present their experiences and examples of emergent curriculum at this Symposium, co-hosted by The Saul and Carole Zabar Nursery School at the JCC Manhattan. The evening will begin with an opportunity to explore the classrooms and the work of the Nursery School. This will be followed by presentations led by teachers working in both public and private schools in NYC, including a panel of parents that will offer their perspective on schools that embrace emergent curriculum as a pedagogical approach. We will end the evening with some time set aside for processing new ideas and questions.
334 Amsterdam Ave,
New York, NY 10023
5:30 – 6:30 Registration and Open Classrooms
Light refreshments, open school visit of the nursery school classrooms with teachers and staff
6:30 – 7:30 “Breakout Sessions" – participants register to attend one of the following:
"Group Experiences with the Noon 2s”
Jennifer Aziz, a 2s Head Teacher at Beginnings Nursery School in Manhattan, will present the curriculum that developed last year for her 2s class, which began when the teachers noticed the children gravitating to the different areas of the classroom together.
“Starting off with Something as Simple as Tape”
Laura Spaziani, a 3s Head Teacher at Beginnings Nursery School in Manhattan, will be discussing how a material as simple as tape can inspire a year-long investigation.
“How Children and Teachers use an Author Study to Build a Strong Community”
Antonia Bendezu, a 2nd/3rd Grade Teacher of a dual language and inclusion classroom at Castle Bridge School (PS 513), in Washington Heights, will be sharing the curriculum that has been developing this year, and the connections that the children and teachers have been making between seemingly different ideas and projects.
"A Year Long Exploration of Reflecting and Documenting as a Community in our 3s Classroom" - SOLD OUT
Amy Gargan and Anna Goodkind, Co-Head Teachers in a 3/4s class at the JCC Manhattan, will be presenting a curriculum project that evolved last year, in which students documented, observed, and reflected on their own work through the use of different forms of technology.
"Parents Perspective When a Teacher Follows an Emergent Curriculum"
Moderated by Noah Hichenberg, Director of the Saul and Carole Zabar Nursery School at the JCC Manhattan, parents from schools in NYC will offer their perspective and experience in a panel presentation.
7:30 – 8:00 Reflection
$35 Symposium fee for non-members
$20 Member price BECOME A MEMBER!
$10 Students with valid ID
Financial assistance available
please email Robin@TeachingBeyondtheSquare.org
Registration is limited to 90 participants
Around our Community
- Apr 22, 2017 Alternative Narratives Series Apr 22, 2017
The Materials Center
- Jan 16, 2017 Materials Center closed - MLK Jr. Day Jan 16, 2017
- Jan 9, 2017 Materials Center open! Jan 9, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Materials Center closed Jan 2, 2017
- Dec 26, 2016 Materials Center closed Dec 26, 2016
- Dec 19, 2016 Materials Center open! Dec 19, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 Materials Center open! Dec 12, 2016
- Dec 11, 2016 Materials Center weekend hours! Dec 11, 2016
- Dec 5, 2016 Materials Center open! Dec 5, 2016
- Nov 28, 2016 Materials Center open! Nov 28, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 Materials Center open! Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 20, 2016 Materials Center weekend hours! Nov 20, 2016
- Nov 14, 2016 Materials Center open! Nov 14, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 Materials Center closed Nov 7, 2016
- Oct 10, 2016 Materials Center closed - Columbus Day Oct 10, 2016
- Oct 3, 2016 Materials Center closed - Rosh Hashanah Oct 3, 2016
- Oct 1, 2016 Materials Center open! Oct 1, 2016
- Sep 26, 2016 Materials Center open Sep 26, 2016
- Sep 19, 2016 Materials Center open Sep 19, 2016
- Sep 12, 2016 Open House / Exhibitioon Sep 12, 2016
- Sep 7, 2016 Educator Preview Day Sep 7, 2016