Studio Teacher Cohort
with Amy Brook Snider
Teaching Beyond the Square is pleased to announce the first Studio Teacher Cohort. A series of workshops designed for art teachers, atelieristas, and educators, it offers opportunities for inspiration, connection, and community within a group of like-minded professionals. We will meet throughout the school year, to reflect on our practice while developing alternative strategies through meetings that include school visits, guest speakers, material-and media-based experiences as well as the documentation of our work both individually and together. It will be led by Dr. Amy Brook Snider, Professor Emerita, Pratt Institute.
When? How much?
Workshops will be held each month from 5:30 – 7:30pm:
December 7 | January 4 | February 1 | March 1 | April 5 | May 3 | June 7
COST: $40.00 per session, or $250.00 for all sessions. Materials fee is included in the cost. Refreshments and snacks will be provided at each meeting. Participants will be provided with journals and pencils.
Experiences & Topics
- Presentations of participants’ studio projects, and drawing inspiration from each other’s practice.
- Deepening our understanding through material and media experiences and related dialogue.
- Strategies for working with our colleagues.
Discussion questions and possible journal writing topics:
- Development of relationships between the art teacher and the school; i.e., the art room, other teachers, administration, and staff.
- The Having of Wonderful Ideas (Duckworth). How and where do we find sources for inspiration?
- Achieving democracy, equity, and social constructivism in art experiences.
- Effective approaches to motivation, through questions, artwork, and art history.
- Exhibiting student work.
- The art room as “the third teacher.”
- Documentation as assessment.